RSS

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Horseback riding in Greece - CRETE STAR TRAIL

Horseback riding in Greece - CRETE STAR TRAIL

 Greece with its many islands stretching down into the Aegean, is no more than 50,000 square miles in total area (about the size of the state of New York), yet is responsible for great achievements in art, architecture, mathematics, drama, philosophy, sports (the Olympic games), and democracy -- legacies for the preceeding ages.

Though the Cretan terrain is rugged it has olive orchards and vineyards, with great local pride in the quality of its olive oil. What it lacks in soil, it more than compensates for with coastline. No town in Greece is more than 75 miles from the water, with hundreds of coves and inlets, bays and gulfs. Many of the Greek heroes and gods had a real or mythological relationship with this wild and beautiful part of Greece. In mythology, Zeus, the supreme deity of the ancient Greeks, was born in a cave in the Lassithi plateau.


http://www.ridingtours.com/horseback-riding/greece-crete-star-trail.cfm

Experience the pleasure of swimming with your equine companion in the balmy waters of the Mediterranean Sea.
 (The above picture was taken from Equitours facebook page)

 http://www.ridingtoursblog.com/

Land of the Gods

I’ve been back from horseback riding in Greece for over a week and am almost out of the woods with bookings and inquiries. Being hit by the real world is quite a shock after eight days in the saddle half way around the globe. Having never been to Crete, I was excited, but also had my concerns. The airline strikes and the Greek Economy’s effect on the European Union and protests were all over the news at the time. Apparently, this is all old hat for Europeans, as my flights to and from Athens and Heraklion were completely full and everyone seemed unconcerned.After hours of travel, I was greeted in Sabine & Manolis’s dining room with a warm fire, a huge plate of Moussaka, fresh baked bread, a glass of wine, and Crete’s traditional drink of distilled grapes, Raki-true and simple hospitality. I felt a little unnerved when I walked in and guest conversing in French, Dutch, and Greek rapidly switched into English for my benefit, but enjoyed conversations with everyone I met.
Riding throughout the week followed suit with good honest horses, quality tack, a variety of trails, a variety of food, and Karen, our knowledgeable trail guide. If I wasn’t asking questions, I was taking pictures of the sheep standing on the tops of the trees (I swear) or collecting my reins for some long canters along the roads that crisscross the olive groves.
Having not visited the ride for quite some time, we did have some surprises. The itineraries were not as structured as advertise in our brochures, the progressive ride comes back to the hotel more nights than expected, stays can be shorter than a full 8 days, and Sabine has not been guiding as often, as her hands are full with her two beautiful little girls. I didn’t expect the weather to be cloudy this time of year, but that didn’t stop me from taking a quick dip into the Aegean Sea. Karen complained of the cold, but I told her that the water was perfect compared to swimming in the rivers formed by glacial melt in Wyoming.
And during the riding lessons that I took with Manolis, I discovered how terribly awkward I can be in an English saddle. Apollon, my trusty steed, was incredibly forgiving, despite the fact that I was behaving something akin to a jackhammer on his back as we did a walk, trot, and canter series around the arena with our feet out of the stirrups. Shoulders back is my new mantra.
But my overall impression of this riding vacation is that it is far from just getting by. Sabine and Manolis are constantly working, improving, building, envisioning, and creating their dream. It’s a lifestyle. That seems to be the difference between a good operation and one that is mediocre. They have a beautiful hotel set in a beautiful location overlooking valleys of olive groves and small whitewashed villages. The food is all homemade and delicious. Their horses are fit and well cared for. Eighteen new Wintec all purpose English saddles are being shipped in within the next few weeks, and Sabine and Manolis are in the process of creating a stage for outdoor entertainment, a larger dining room, more trails, a new progressive ride, and a possible ride along the lake that will fill in the valley within the next few years.
It was a pleasure to stay and ride in such a lovely place and experience Greek hospitality at its finest. I look forward to speaking with clients about this trip. Right now, we offer The Crete Star Trail, The Trail of the Gods, and the Unguided Lassithi Trek in Crete. For more information about any of these rides, please get in touch with me at traci@equitours.com

My trusty steed Apollon

1 comment:

  1. In order to enjoy the most adventurous vacations people book horseback riding trips. More than the actual trips the fun lies in packing for it.

    Grand Staircase Escalante Horseback Riding

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome and appreciated by us, as long as they're constructive and objective, but general comments are accepted too. I don't wish to censor or restrict anyone, but desire to learn from everyone and improve the quality of this site. Thanking you all kindly! :-)